Monday, November 21, 2011

Making Paper Garland

My friend Carolyn and I have both really been wanting to try our hands at making paper garland and ornaments for our Christmas trees.  So this past Sunday we both dusted off our rarely used sewing machines (I mean really rarely, like once every 2 years or so), threw them up on the work table, and gave it a shot.  There was lots of trial and error, and a fair amount of grumbling, both from us, and the sewing machines, but over all it was really fun!  And not quite as hard as I expected it to be, but I think it would be really hard to get them to come out looking professional.  But it was my first time sewing on paper, and I have to say I really liked it!  I am looking forward to the post holiday crazy time so that I might be able to experiment a little more.  And perhaps I should by a book or something.  No need to reinvent the wheel, and I'm sure there are lots of cool projects to try out.  But the winging it was a really great way to start, and I ended up with two fairly long strands of garland, about 10-12 feet or so each, one with triangle pennants, and one with the snowflakey starry rectangles you see above.  You never know, this could possibly be another good use for all of those pages I remove when I make my secret compartment books!  And Carolyn made a super clever garland that was a paper version of the traditional popcorn and cranberry garland.  I'm only sorry I didn't get a picture of it before she left!  

2 comments:

  1. Loving the pictures taken here! Gorgeous paper garland!

    dita

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so cute! I've never tried to make this because my sewing machine is cranky a lot, but I might have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete