Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Impending Halloween

Card by Fiddleheads For Fiona.  Click image for info.
I know it is only September, and believe me, I am not interested in rushing the seasons here, but I am already feeling a little overwhelmed by Halloween.  As a young adult I tended to avoid Halloween, and used it as a good excuse to stay home, and off the streets, and catch up on my junky movie watching.   I've never been a big fan of costume wearing, at least not since I was a kid.  But now that I have a kid I am totally psyched to dress him up in something adorable.  But I find I have no Halloween parenting skills at all, and am not even sure what you do with a 2 year old on Halloween.  Too young for candy, right?  I mean who wants to open up that can of worms any earlier than absolutely necessary.  And although I wish I were crafty enough to make a cool costume for him, but unless I make it entirely out of metal (suit of armor anyone?) I am at a loss.  So I'm putting it out there to all of you for advice.  What did you all do with your 2 year olds on Halloween?  And does anyone have a source for cool original costumes that aren't entirely made out of plastic?  Thanks everyone! I can certainly use all the help I can get!

4 comments:

  1. Our two year old still needs a costume, too, and we usually start thinking about it now. Last year he was an Indian, and our plan was just to take him by the various neighbors late in the afternoon just so someone could see him in it. We'll probably do the same this year. Old Navy has some really cute costumes (and are having a baby sale in store and online right now), and actually, Etsy has a lot to offer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen! We don't have any neighbors, to speak of, but maybe we can find someone to admire him! And I'll check out old navy. Do you have any specific Etsy shops? I looked a bit and got trapped in the quagmire that is etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always have some local friends stop by to see him- I don't think anyone can resist a cute toddler in costume. I don't know any Etsy shops offhand, but if you have an idea (like, toddler boy pirate costume) then that might help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can visit us! I don't think anyone has been trick-or-treating to our house for years. And who says the treats have to be candy or even food-based, for that matter?! Perhaps some new truck / construction stickers are in order this halloween? I just saw some pretty awesome ones at the scrapbook nook (yes, i was in there doing paper research with garet)...

    ReplyDelete